Viva Editions are books that inform, enlighten, and entertain. The very name, "Viva!", is celebratory. And while Viva Editions is a line of books that are as fun as they are informational, the intention behind Viva is very serious—these are books that are truly helpful and intended to enhance people's lives.


Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Go green in time for St Patty's Day!

LEMONS AND LAVENDER: THE ECO GUIDE TO BETTER HOMEKEEPING BY BILLIE SHARP


I've been trying to bring out my green side. I've stepped up my recycling (since we finally have more options!), begun to look at purchasing items with less packaging, and trying to increase the amount of items I reduce, reuse, and recycle. And I'm always looking for ways to save money while enjoying the things I love.

Lemons and Lavender provides hundreds of Ideas for Healthy, Happy and Fabulously Frugal Homekeeping. There are seven chapters crammed full of ideas to fix things, grow things, and more. Each time I thought I had discovered a favorite chapter I read a little further and discovered another gem.

Beginning with ways to save money, Ms. Sharp walks readers through growing their own vegetables and herbs, making their own eco friendly cleaners, and repairing items rather than replacing. I'll be honest and say I wasn't "into" reducing and reusing when I got married. Rather than try to repair something, it seemed easier to replace. Over the years I've learned how much I can save by repairing an item.

I've been trying to incorporate tips from this book into our lifestyle. Not only will we be healthier (or at least reduce our chemical exposure), I'll be happier because I'm saving money.

Check out the Creative ideas inside Lemons and Lavender:


• Garden-to-table recipes for every meal
• Eco-deco ideas for furnishing your home
• Recipes for nontoxic cleaners, house paint and more
• Start a seed sharing garden with your neighbors
• Easy-to-make gifts with handcrafted gift wrap
• Grow your own cup of delicious herbal tea
• Learn to use organic sea salts, skin scrubs and detox bath therapies

It's a great introduction into "Green Living." Even if you are not interested in following all of the steps, it's a good resource for a thriftier, greener future.

No comments:

Post a Comment