Viva Editions are books that inform, enlighten, and entertain. The very name, "Viva!", is celebratory. And while Viva Editions is a line of books that are as fun as they are informational, the intention behind Viva is very serious—these are books that are truly helpful and intended to enhance people's lives.


Monday, July 9, 2012

Excerpt of the Day: "It's Never Too Late to Be What You Might Have Been" by BJ Gallagher


Have you ever given up on a dream in order to be more “practical” in making a living?  Do you long to pick up that dream again?  Well, the title of this book says it all: It’s Never Too Late to Be What You Might Have Been.  Inspired by the timeless quote by great writer George Eliot, BJ Gallagher has written a guidebook to getting the life you’ve always wanted.  Whether you are a brand new college graduate going out into the big, wide world, a business executive escaping burnout, or a 40-something mom looking for a "second life," this book is a wonderful combination of great advice, step-by-step guidelines, and pure inspiration to help you seize not just the day, but the rest of your life!

Have a look:

Arnold Schwarzenegger has spent his whole life living his dreams, one after another. As a young, unknown bodybuilder in Austria, he had big dreams. He knew his destiny was in America, not Europe, and he often credits his dreams with enabling him to survive a harsh childhood. His father, a policeman, was a brutal disciplinarian. As he told Fortune magazine in 2004, “My hair was pulled. I was hit with belts. So was the kid next door. It was just the way it was. Many of the children I’ve seen were broken by their parents, which was the German-Austrian mentality.... It was all about conforming. I was the one who did not conform, and whose will could not be broken. Therefore, I became a rebel. Every time I got hit, and every time someone said, ‘You can’t do this,’ I said, ‘This is not going to be for much longer, because I’m going to move out of here. I want to be rich. I want to be somebody.’”

Schwarzenegger’s first dream was to become the greatest bodybuilder in the world—Mr. Olympia. In 1970, at age 23, he became the youngest man to win the title, an honor he still holds today.

His second goal was to become a movie star—a bit of a challenge considering his thick German accent. “It was very difficult for me in the beginning—I was told by agents and casting people that my body was ‘too weird,’ that I had a funny accent, that my name was too long. You name it, and they told me I had to change it. Basically, everywhere I turned, I was told that I had no chance.” (“Ask Arnold,” www.Schwarzenegger.com.)

After a few less-than-notable films and performances, Schwarzenegger finally achieved some recognition with his 1977 bodybuilder film, Pumping Iron. But his big break didn’t come until 1982, with the box-office hit Conan the Barbarian. The ’80s saw a series of successes for the ambitious young Austrian, including his signature 1984 hit, The Terminator. The public appetite for action films was at its peak and he, along with Sylvester Stallone, became an action hero superstar.

The year 1990 brought Schwarzenegger’s first taste of political life, when he was appointed chairman of the President’s Council on Physical Fitness. After holding that appointment for three years, until 1993, he gained attention for his work with the American Red Cross. People speculated about a political future for the bodybuilder-turned-action-hero. In an interview with Talk magazine in 1999, Schwarzenegger was asked if he thought of running for office. He replied, “I think about it many times. The possibility is there, because I feel it inside.”

The rest, of course, is history. In 2003, on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Schwarzenegger announced his candidacy for governor of California in the recall election for Governor Gray Davis. He won by over a million votes. This 56-year-old Austrian immigrant launched his third career, continuing to live out his dreams.

Is it too late for you to live YOUR dreams? Just ask California’s Governator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive